Thursday, October 04, 2007

.living in a foreign land.

Honestly, I am so thankful I am given this chance for this exchange programme. Being in Bath for near to 2 weeks, I am enjoying every single part of it - from the weather(only when it's not raining), the environment, the school, the people and the idea of living w/o much restrictions. It's not that my parents are restrictive in Singapore, but when you are living w/o your family members, you tend to be more disciplined and less lazy? For me at least, no more maid to do my washings, wash the dishes and tidy the room, and I have learned to do them myself. It's not difficult, but thinking of how I am back in Singapore, I realise I do get a little spoilt and ill-disciplined. I don't even close my cupboard after getting my clothes. I don't even hang my towel up to dry. Oh man, I am so ashamed of my lazy ways back in Singapore.

At least right now in Bath, I am really independent. I don't even think I am learning to be independent. I can be independent as long as the situation needs me to be. ermm, is there a difference? hahaha. sorry, i seem to be confusing myself. Today, I did cooking for the Bathies while they were strolling in some park. I am sure I mentioned before how I wanna thank God for letting me live with these 4 wonderful people here who are so patient and loving. All of us can have many differences, but I am proud to say we all know how to compromise, and that, I believe, is the key, to living peacefully together.

Kudos to Jay, Gerrie, Sue and Mich! A taste of my cooking tonight. They seem to enjoy it except for the very hard rice.



Besides learning to be independent, it seems like I am living a new life here. In a foreign land, there are so few familiar faces around. I don't know why i am thinking of Peggen right now, but you know, if I happen to do damn unglam stuff in school, I won't need to worry of paiseh, because I presume people don't really know me at all. Somehow, it's quite a good thing not needing to engage in small talks and having so little distractions in school (for now). haha! I miss S*U though.

Just now, I visited the sports village again! I was swimming leisurely in my lane when I realised the lane was actually for competitive swimmers! And it's cool how the end point has today's training program attached.. and so, I decided to follow the training programme. 8x100M Medley, 10x50M breast, 10x50M frontcrawl, followed by 2x200M medley. I did it based on what I know, and it was really tiring...


While swimming, I am really impressed by how University of Bath place sports in such great importance. They build up a great sports hub for students, and even award scholarships for the outstanding sportsmen in school. And they never fail to emphasize the importance of sports. Yeah, so unlike S*U where students don't really seem to regard sports as something of their priority.

In case you guys can't read the quote, the words that really inspire me :" Sport has the power to change the world, the power to inspire, the power to unite people in a way that little else can. Sports can create hope where there was once only despair. It breaks down racial barriers. It laughs in the face of all kinds of discrimination. The heroes sport creates are examples of this power. They are valiant, not only on the playing field, but also in the community, spreading hope and inspiration to the world."

After that, I went to Sainsbury ( supermarket in Bath ) to get some food for dinner. Sudden urge to whip up some good dishes for my fellow Bathies and oh man, while walking there, I took some pictures with my new camera! I realised, in this month of travelling, that I love crowded weekend markets, green parks, peaceful places and old buildings. (hell, contradicting.)



That's about it. Heading to Spanish night right now! Some random pictures before I sign off :
We actually had a fire drill just before we wanted to start our dinner.

Some special photos on my desk. Will show others next time ! And in case you guys still haven't seen my room (now with many many photos though)


Some photos taken at Suspension Bridge, Royal Crescent Park and Dinner with Italians +
Bathies 1 week ago //


//the journey is long, cherish every moment.




floated away at
3:52 AM




SAY SOMETHING?




ARCHIVES
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008