Monday, October 22, 2007

.Greece Trip 101007 - 161007.
- Athens. Santorini. Mykonos. Athens -

Before I leave for my next destination Paris, I better start posting my Greece picture. Goodness, those collage took me hours to do it.

Friends were telling me about my emo posts and wondered how Greece could trigger my emotions. Beside having a long and turbulent history way back from 3000 BC during the Bronze Age, the place is really awesome. High mountains, historical buildings, clear oceans and skies... I think this time picture speaks louder than words.

Enjoy.
First day at Athens was rather dead. Weather was still great about 20 and we went to Athens most iconic symbol the Acropolis. Arguably the most ancient monument in the Western world but it was rather disappointing because of the construction work. Lots of dust but nevertheless it was an eye opener! Was at the Theatre of Dionysos, Stoa of Eumenes, Ancient Agora, Tower of the Winds and some others. It was really amazing how these buildings are so well preserved back from the BC age.





After which, we toured around Athens and walked along Mitropoleous Street. Kean "kato" for dinner but we were famished man. Was trying to find Viasos recommended by Lonely Planet and it took us half an hour to realise it was closed down. How accurate. We had an early night at Athens Backpackers. Met some Australians but was too tired to socialise with them.

Day 2 was a mad rush. We needed to catch the 7am ferry to Santorini and guess what, I realise I haven't taken a cruise before! I got quite excited with the facilities in the ferry and I went around taking lots of pictures. As we were deprived of the sun back in the UK, we spent some time tanning too! It was quite funny too when halfway, one Australian girl actually came to our seat and started complaining to us how irritating her sister was.

Finally reached Santorini after a long 8 hour ferry ride. I recalled how I fell in love with the island at first sight. The villa was really a plus factor man. We got upgraded to a suite and the place was beautiful. Gosh. Maybe I just love swimming pools.






We then rented a scooter and drove around the island. Cheap thrill but G and I were like smiling ALL THE WAY. As it was late, we visited the Kamari Beach ( Black Beach ) and went to the town centre Fira to shop. Nothing much though. Ate Moussaka for dinner again and it was so much cheaper than Athens!

The following day, I wanted so much to ride the scooter once again to explore the island but G wanted to visit the volcanic islands. On hindsight, it was a wise decision because we visited the volcanic island, hot springs and watched the sunset at Oia (e-ye) in ONE day. The hot springs was disappointing because the sea was freezing. The sunset was amazing though and both G and I were lamenting how we were both so-wrong companies. haha. But indeed, that place got me rather emotional again (oh, what a surprise..).

After that, we had dinner with our new American friends(Matt, Sarah and Ben) who are currently teaching in Germany.



That marks the 2 days spent at Santorini. Really wished I could have spent more time there exploring the island but yeah, Mykonos wasn't that bad too. We went to the famous windmills and Little Venice situated in the town centre. The weather turned chilly when we were at Mykonos and the wind was damn strong. On a few occasions, it nearly blew my cap off the sea!
Also, there were so many beaches in Mykonos and G and I spent 3/4 of our time there reading and tanning. On Day 4, we even went for beach hop with our scooter and it was damn fun. (apart from the chilly weather.) Mykonos is known for being a gay paradise but sadly, we didn't see much action going on. LOL. G was so disappointed! As it was near winter, the pubs were close at night, and thus, we didn't manage to catch any night life. For the 2 nights, we just walked around the town centre and went back to our villa to watch D-grade movies. haha.
Took some pictures and I personally love the cow picture. The sky was so clear and he looked so confused.

My most memorable moments in Mykonos would be the part where I just lazed along the beach, reading my Purpose Driven Life. Also, as we had lots of time in the small island, I spent some time sitting along the riverside sipping Greek Coffee. The feeling was damn refreshing because how often do you do that in Singapore?
Back to Athens on the 16th. As Athens, by comparison, seemed so boring, both G and I were not extremely excited going back there for a night. We visited most of the sites and the last stops we wanted to visit were the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the National Archaelogical Museum. We gave the temple a miss because we spent a total of 3 hours in the Museum looking at historical artefacts back from the old BC. Some worth mentioned are the gold artefacts from Mycenae, Minoan frescoes from Santorini and Clycladic figurines which are my personal favourite. Some of the artefacts are so real that it somehow led my imagination go wild! However, towards the end, it was kinda an overdose and I just wanted a good meal.
Went to this Jap Restaurant called Furnin Kazan at Athens for a nice sumptuous birthday lunch. It was really orgasmic to eat Jap food in Europe and it was reasonably priced too. Yummy and this made me a happy man once again. Earlier on, was really grouchy because I did not manage to catch ANY sleep the previous night at Athens Backpackers because the whole room was snoring! zz.
So Greece, my 2nd Europe Destination, was really awesome. Visited many historical sites and got to know Gerrie slightly better and like I mentioned earlier, it was rather soul-searching as well on my side. This will be my number 1 honeymoon spot for now and lets see whether my choice changes after my trip to the supposedly romantic Paris this Wednesday.
It's already 4:23 am and I have class later. Gosh. I need to sleep... and study.
Greece, I will be back.




floated away at
9:05 AM




SAY SOMETHING?




ARCHIVES
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008