Friday, October 19, 2007

.a short note which i wrote on the plane EZY2002 back to London from Greece.

1755 London Time 16 October 2007 // 6 Days In Greece

Happy 23rd birthday to myself! Life has been good and I thank God for all the blessings. I am so glad that these 6 days have been safe and smooth-sailing for both of us. 6 days @ Greece with a person whom I know for a month was such an experience. Throughout this 1 month of travelling, I realize how much insights I have gained and how dependent I actually was. Never did I think I was actually so dependent on people around me. From the panic attack @ Changi Airport for excess baggage to the loss of my camera @ London Luton Airport. Goodness. I was fortunate that I had my family and friends to take care of me at Changi, but you know, I realise I am the sort to have to learn my lesson to grow smart. Recalled how I ran up and down the airport @ London because of some customs security issues, leaving my passport at the check-in counter, forgetting my sweater at the security counter and running my hearts out just in time for my flight to Marrakesh. Goodness, that experience was really traumatic YET memorable. Today I am proud that I have become more prepared and checked in on time for my flight! It was hilarious though when Gerrie was panicking so badly because she refused to pay for the train ticket to airport and the conductor came! Like people always say, you have to leave your comfort zone to know what you are actually capable of, to get the better out of you.

At home, I was so disorganised! Having an organised(anal) dad, everything ubsed to be done sui sui by him. In a way, I was spoon fed. But this Greece trip made me realise how much I actually learnt from my parents and it is amazing. You know, you unknowingly picked up so many habits from your parents and you only get to realise them only when you are not near them? For my dad, I realise my admiration for him is really deep and I have been really organised because of him? From recording of accounts, folding clothes preperly, reporting flight details to important people and keeping everything tidy.... all these thanks to my dad. Alos back in Bath... learning to cook, how to treat people right.. thanks MUM. Oh and something interesting about Gerrie's theory about having a business man Dad and not - Bman children tend to be more streetwise, assertive and know how to deal with people better. True?

This Greece trip has been a really relaxing one and had allowed me to reflect on my life lots and grow with God as well. Have been reading "The Purpose Driven Life" (thanks ryan!) and many things that the author wrote really intrigued me. Issues on how to resist temptations, how to love others like how you love yourself, how to lead a god-centered life, how there is a reason for everything and what matters most and how everything takes time... Without the time I spent in the beach, I wouldn't have been reading these (In SG, textbooks are the ONLY books I read. argh.)

Yes, come to how hectic my life in Singapore had been. Spending lots of time in the library, chasing grades and getting upset when I dont meet my expectations. Seemed meaningless. You know, over the past 6 days, I have been leading life reflecting, reading, sitting along the riverside sipping Greek Coffee.. GOSH. Time of my life man. Of course, I do know I have to get myself back and lead what a student life should be - mug, study hard and do well in school! ... soon.

Living with a person has been ex experience as well. You know how some people can be so different as friends and as a travelling companion? Gerrie has been really really nice and I thank you for being so accomodating at times. Me being rather emo and moody at times, it was definitely not easy for her to travel with me too. Also, I realise I am really hot tempered and too frank sometimes that I speak out whatever is in my mind. And... being REALLY different in some views and way of enjoying life, it was tough the first few days man. Eg: I wanted a good meal and she wanted just bread. haha. Not doing things together kinda spoilt the fun, so thus it wasn't surprising to have disagreements. Thankfully, we actually got closer after this trip!

However travelling with somebody so difference has made me discover so much of myself! Too direct, too frank, too crude, too insensitive with words. I better start learning to process my thoughts and to compromise more. I have hurt a few friendships becofre because of these weaknesses of mine and I definitely dont want to burn any bridge. On the bright side though, I have learnt to take care of myself and I realise how food makes me happy. haha. To enjoy life, to me, means having great food and good company. Also, during the 6 days, a call from a special somebody seem to determine how my mood would be for the rest of the day. Amazing, yet not so amazing.

I hope that I have grown after this trip. I am definitely not an easy travelling companion as I don't seem as easy-going as I appear. Sometimes I have too strong opinions and I should learn to accept other's perspective as well. These, I have found out while travelling with J and G.. and yeah, stop those emo swings Gav!

My eyes hurt now and I want to sleep. Last night @ Athens Backpackers was really bad. I drank too much beer, blankets were dirty and smelly and everyone in the room was snoring! I ended up tossing in bed the WHOLE night because I am such a light sleeper. What a birthday.

Thanks for calling just before I leave for London. Your call made my day!

Love, and Goodbye Athens,
Gavin

Sign off, 1810//

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket




floated away at
5:41 AM




SAY SOMETHING?




ARCHIVES
01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004
02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008